If you aren’t familiar with StockX, it is a sneaker resell platform that allows users to buy and sell sneakers from around the world and (mostly)solves a problem that the sneaker resale market had for a long time… legitimacy. StockX is similar to a stock exchange in that the value of your investments (sneakers) change over time based on bids and popularity. There is even the ability to track the value of your entire portfolio.
The highest valued portfolio is worth over $3 million consisting of 160 sneakers, mostly Air Jordans, and owned by a user named derektran_.
According to Hypebeast and StockX, the most expensive (resale) sneakers of 2016 were:
10. adidas YEEZY BOOST 350 “Pirate Black” – Original price: $200 USD; Resale: $1,264 USD
9. BAPE x adidas NMD – Original price: $150 USD; Resale value: $1,309 USD
8. adidas YEEZY BOOST 750 “Glow in the Dark” – Original price: $350 USD; Resale: $1,565 USD
7. adidas 3D Runner – Original price: $333 USD; Resale value: $1,601 USD
6. Air Jordan 1 “Satin” – Original price: $175 USD; Resale value: $1,955 USD
5. adidas NMD “Red Apple” – Original price: $170 USD; Resale value: $2,327 USD
4. adidas NMD “Pitch Black” – Original price: N/A; Resale value: $2,972 USD
3. Nike HyperAdapt 1.0 Original price: $720 USD; Resale value: $3,528 USD
2. adidas Pharrell Human Race NMD “Friends and Family” – Original: N/A; Resale: $7,535 USD
1. Nike MAG - Original price: N/A; Resale value: $28,638 USD
While its not surprising that Nike and adidas dominate the list, it is surprising that Nike makes up only 3 of the places and adidas the rest. The Nike MAG took the #1 spot but there are very limited amounts of them out there so it doesn’t really count. It looks like adidas won the sneaker wars in 2016. Let’s hope that 2017 gets more interesting.